Zara Solar – A profile
Zara Solar was established in 2005. The company is based in Mwanza- Tanzania with a branch in the capital Dar-es-salaam. It specializes in sales and installation of solar systems to rural households and institutions. Zara Solar is currently the leading solar distributor in Northern Tanzania. This is due to its established reputation of providing high quality solar systems at reasonable and affordable prices. As an additional service Zara Solar provides individual households and institutions with free advice, guidance, design and sizing on the most appropriate solar system based on their needs.
Vision To be a market leader in rural electrification using renewable energy in Tanzania
Mission Providing affordable and reliable solar systems to people in rural Tanzania.
Core Values Zara Solar believes in quality which is affordable to majority of people in rural Tanzania.
We mean Business We provide Quality
Organization Zara Solar is managed by Mohamedrafik A. Parpia and Mona M. Parpia and employs ten full time technicians. A network of solar technicians spread around Lake Zone region reaches rural customers.
Solar-home-systems (SHS) are stand-alone electrical systems. They consist of photovoltaic module which generates electricity from sunlight, rechargeable battery stores electricity so that it can be used during both day and night, a charge controller which prevent battery from being overcharged or deep discharged and a number of lamps, wiring and fixtures. An inverter is added if items needing alternating current are used. The products are imported in bulk from reputable suppliers to keep costs low.
To date Zara Solar has sold more than 20,000 solar systems to rural households, schools and health centers. The sales volume is increasing as more people become aware of solar technology.
Zara Solar has won the following awards: –
- 2006 Solar dealer of the year in Tanzania –Chloride Exide [Kenya] Ltd.
- 2007 Ashden Award [Special Africa Award] for providing affordable and reliable solar systems in Northern Tanzania – Ashden Foundation.
- 2007 Best SME-Service sector in Tanzania – Tanzania Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (T.C.C.I.A)
- 2007 National winner for Tanzania of Energy Globe Award
- 2008 Lighting Africa Competition – World Bank
- 2010 Lighting Rural Tanzania Competition- Rural Energy Agency [REA]
- To ensure that a wide range of households and institutions have access to cost effective source of power
- To ensure that the solar products are of high quality, are properly installed and maintained by qualified technicians
- To overcome high upfront purchase cost of solar systems by cooperating with Savings and Credit Cooperative Societies (SACCOS) to offer their members loans
Membership Zara Solar is member of:
- Tanzania Solar Energy Association [TASEA]
- Tanzania Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture [T.C.C.I. A]
- International Solar Energy Society [ISES]
Zara Solar is also registered as Specialist Contractor with Contractors Registration Board – Tanzania (CRB)